- Getting Connected. Mercury Sync™ hands-free in-car communications and entertainment system (late availability) joins the suite of high tech offerings on the Mountaineer for 2008.
- Industry Innovation. Mountaineer comes to market with Ford’s industry-exclusive capless fuel filling system (late availability).
- New Options. New features for 2008 include 20-inch wheels (late availability) and seven new packages, including: Mountaineer Chrome Package, Navigation and Moon and Tune Elite Package, Comfort Package, among others.
- New Exterior Colors. Three new exterior colors: White Suede Clearcoat, Vapor Silver Clearcoat Metallic and Stone Green Clearcoat Metallic.
The 2008 Mercury Mountaineer offers an expressive alternative in the SUV market, delivering impressive driving dynamics, refined interior choices along with premium convenience and class-leading safety. It escapes the mainstream with many package choices that allow consumers to express their individuality and satisfy their personal needs.
For 2008, Mountaineer also addresses consumers’ tech-savvy wishes with the addition of Mercury Sync™ – an industry-exclusive, voice-activated and hands-free in-car communications and entertainment system (late availability). Developed in collaboration with Microsoft, the system fully integrates mobile phones and media players into the vehicle using Bluetooth technology and USB connectivity. Mountaineer’s navigation system is improved for 2008 as well, now offering voice-activation capability for greater ease of operation.
Another industry-first feature that debuts later in the model year on Mountaineer is Ford Motor Company’s exclusive capless fuel filling system.
Seven new package options are offered on Mountaineer in 2008, ranging from a selection of Third-Row Seat Packages to the unique look of the Mountaineer Chrome Package.
Mountaineer is available in two arrays: Mountaineer and Mountaineer Premier. Both are available with either 4x2 or all-wheel drive. All Mountaineers are produced at the Louisville Assembly Plant in Louisville, Ky.
Never Lose Your Gas Cap Again
The 2008 Mercury Mountaineer comes to market with a capless fuel filling system (late availability). This technology not only eliminates the inconvenience of forgetting to put the gas cap back on after fueling, but it also saves time during refueling by doing away with unscrewing and replacing a fuel filler cap.
The system could prove to benefit the environment as well. The capless fuel system provides a much better seal than a cap, as it isn’t opened until the fuel pump nozzle is inserted. When capless fueling is completed, the nozzle is removed and the system seals shut automatically.
The exterior design of the Mountaineer reflects the design sensibility for the Mercury family of vehicles. The refined front fascia flows around the body to touches like the distinctive shape of the side mirrors and continues rearward to cues that subtly reflect and integrate design elements from the front end on the rear bumper fascia.
Primary design points on the Mountaineer capture its refined yet rugged sensibility:
- The signature Mercury waterfall grille is highlighted within the front-end design and accentuated with satin aluminum finish on the center of the front bumper.
- Clear taillamp lenses and a satin aluminum highlight on the rear bumper serve to integrate design from front to back.
- 18-inch machined aluminum wheels are available on the Mountaineer and standard on the Mountaineer Premier for further distinction. A new 20-inch wheel option is added later in the model year.
- Available power-deployable running boards were carefully engineered and designed to integrate fully into the rocker panels for a clean look when tucked away.
- Mountaineer adds three new color options for 2008: White Suede Clearcoat, Vapor Silver Clearcoat Metallic and Stone Green Clearcoat Metallic.
For the interior, Mountaineer engages a sense of sophistication and subtle luxury while still providing generous passenger and cargo space. Mountaineer boasts nearly 85 cubic feet of cargo space and versatile seating options for up to seven passengers.
Mountaineer continues to offer several segment-exclusive features, including PowerFold™ third-row seats, power-deployable running boards and a heated windshield for added driver and passenger convenience.
Premier models are available with a three-valve 4.6-liter V-8 engine mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission. This advanced V-8 features variable cam timing and creates a robust 292 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque. Using technology more commonly found in luxury sport sedans, Mountaineer’s 6-speed transmission provides smooth, seamless performance that makes the most of the V-8’s power band while improving fuel efficiency.
A 4.0-liter V-6 with a 5-speed automatic comes standard in both Mountaineer and Mountaineer Premier. Both V-6 and V-8 Mountaineers are available with all-wheel drive.
For 2008, Mountaineer can still claim the most standard safety features in its class, including an array of more than 10 advanced safety features.
Standard safety features include:
- Adaptive safety. A five-level front passenger occupant classification sensor, enhanced restraint control module and a driver-seat track position sensor help provide information used to adapt safety systems in the vehicle. Driver and front passenger seat air bags adapt to an occupant’s size and the severity of a crash. Mountaineer also features adaptive technologies for load-limiting seatbelt retractors and a collapsible steering column.
- New standards in safety. Front side-impact air bags are standard and the Safety Canopy? side curtain air bags covering all three rows are also standard on all models.
- AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control) This Ford exclusive system uses state-of-the-art gyroscope technology to sense a roll condition and then deploys countermeasures through braking and engine controls to attempt to bring the vehicle back under control. No other automaker uses this gyroscope technology in its system.
Major Features and Options
Mountaineer: 4.0-liter V-6 with a 5-speed automatic; Capless fuel filling system (late availability); 17-inch aluminum wheels with P245/65R17 all-season tires; Power door locks; Message center with four-line display; Auto-dimming rear-view mirrors; Dual power heated outside mirrors with security and approach lamps; Remote keyless entry; Fog lamps; Headlamps with auto lamp; Premium AM/FM stereo with single CD player and MP3 capability; Auxiliary audio input jack; First-row cloth seats with six-way power driver seat with manual lumbar support; Color-keyed and leather-wrapped steering wheel with speed and redundant audio and climate controls; AdvanceTrac® with RSC®; Intelligent Safety System™; Safety Canopy™ side curtain air bags for the first- and second-row passengers plus rollover protection sensors.
Mountaineer Premier adds: Satin aluminum round exhaust tip; Satin aluminum roof side rails; 18-inch satin aluminum chrome clad wheels with P235/65R18 all-season tires; Color-keyed running boards; First-row heated leather-trimmed sport bucket seats with Preferred Suede inserts; Six-way power passenger seat; Second-row reclining seatbacks and access to the standard third-row seat.
Options include: Mercury Sync™ (late availability); Third-Row Seat Package; Third-Row Seat Elite Package (includes PowerFold™ third row seat and auxiliary air conditioning); Chrome Package; Amenities Package; Moon and Tune Elite Package (includes Power moonroof, SIRIUS® Satellite Radio and Audiophile sound system); Navigation and Moon and Tune Elite Package (includes all previous equipment plus voice-activated navigation); Comfort Package; Heated Package (includes heated seats and windshield); Power-deployable running boards; Power adjustable pedals with memory; Power moonroof; Voice-activated navigation system; Rear-seat DVD entertainment system; Quad bucket seating; Heated front seats; Auxiliary climate control; color keyed running boards and third-row 50/50 split bench seat); Reverse Sensing System; Trailer Tow Package.
source : Mercury Press